Insect and Bee Sting Allergies

Most people react in some way to insect or bee stings. However, some people experience a severe allergic reaction to a sting. 

A normal, non-allergic reaction can include pain, redness and swelling at the site of the sting.  Symptoms of a true allergic reaction can include wheezing, trouble breathing, tight, restrictive throat, swelling of the face, mouth, or throat, hives on parts of the body where the sting didn’t occur, restlessness and anxiety, dizziness or drop in blood pressure.  This type of reaction is called anaphylactic shock and can be life-threatening. If these types of symptoms occur, it’s very important that you call 911 and seek medical attention immediately. 

There are five main insects whose sting cause the majority of allergic reactions: yellow jackets, honeybees, paper wasps, hornets and fire ants. Their venom is a toxin that enters your body when the sting occurs and for those who are allergic, your body will overreact to that toxin causing the anaphylactic responses we described above.

Serious allergies like this can be even more life-threatening when left undiagnosed.  If you or a member of your family may be at risk of an insect or bee sting allergy, call Bluegrass Allergy Care today to schedule an examination.